“One Great School”
Headteacher: Karl Russell

Aire View Site

Elliott Street, Silsden, Keighley,
West Yorkshire BD20 0AW
T: 01535 653 290

Hothfield Site

Hothfield Street, Silsden, Keighley,
West Yorkshire BD20 0BB
T: 01535 210 666

Parental Support

Your Parental Involvement Worker

Jan Burgoyne

What is parental involvement?

Children have two main educators in their lives:

Their parents/carers
Their teachers

Parents/carers are the main educators until children begin school and you remain a major influence on how your children progress throughout school and beyond.

Therefore both you and school have a crucial role to play.

Research shows that the impact upon children’s learning is far greater if parents/carers and schools work together in partnership.

What is a Parental Involvement Worker?

I am available to help resolve any issues raised by you and will keep you updated through positive communication between home and school by letters and regular newsletters.

On an individual basis I am here to offer support with many issues including coping with children’s behaviour, improving attendance/punctuality, free school meals, family issues such as divorce/separation, bereavement, domestic violence, drugs & alcohol, mental health and many other factors which may have an impact on your child’s wellbeing.

Nobody has  a ‘perfect’ life and there are times when we all need to share our concerns, worries or just need to be listened to and as such if there is anything you would like to have a confidential chat about please call into school or leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Please do not sit at home and worry, take the time and contact me. If I cannot help you myself then I will endeavour to put you in contact with someone who can help and support you.

You can contact me  on the main school telephone number – 01535 653290 or by email – jan.burgoyne@silsden.bradford.sch.uk.

Useful links:

Winston’s wish – a website offering support for bereaved children and their families. Click here to access the site.

CRUSE – Support and advice after the death of someone close. Click here to access the site.

NSPCC SHARE AWARE CAMPAIGN – Keeping your child safe on social media

Child sexual exploitation (CSE) – Click PACE website to support parents/carers & children affected by CSE.

Building Bridges support service – Local Free support service for parents feeling distressed, lonely, isolated, overwhelmed, anxious, sad or needing help with emotional & mental well being.

Mencap & NSPCC Pants Campaign -Simple Conversations to keep your child safe from abuse

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) – How to keep your child safe

Support line – a useful website giving information on many issues including domestic violence, drug & alcohol, bullying, homelessness, mental health and many more. Click on the ‘problems’ section.

National Domestic violence freephone information – run in partnership with Womens aid & refuge

Click here for the ‘Loves me, Loves me not’ guidance.

If you are in immediate danger please call 999

Men’s advice line – advice and support for men experiencing domestic violence

Housing advice – a general link to the Incommunities website where you can access advice from the ‘open moves’ section for community housing option

Free school meal advice – to check on eligibility & general information. You can also contact Mrs Louise Heslop, Parental Involvement Officer in school for help & support when completing the forms.

Attendance – a link to the department of education website.

Department of work and pensions – many leaflets/information on various benefits & support available including: Finding a job, bringing up children on your own, housing & heating costs, support for parents & guardians, disability living allowance for children and many more.

Community Advice Network – Gives free confidential, impartial, independent & reliable advice and information for people living and working in the Bradford District.

If you do not have access to a computer at home please feel free to call into school or contact Mrs Heslop who can arrange a time for you to use a computer in school.