Autumn Term 2020
If your child is unable to attend school due to self-isolation, please find below an overview of the key objectives planned for classroom lessons each week. You should be able to find suitable material related to the objectives via Oak National Academy. Please contact your child’s teacher via Class Dojo if any questions.
Summer Term 2019/20
Welcome to the Year 1 Home Learning resource. Please be aware that this page has been updated and some headings/information may have changed slightly with the phased reopening of school.
- We will update the tasks each Monday by 9:30am.
- The activities will be as closely linked to those we will be doing in school, as possible.
- There will be Maths and English tasks, as well as some tasks from our wider curriculum.
- All work from previous weeks will be available under the Previous Home Learning heading.
- Any tasks which have different levels of challenge will be starred accordingly. E.g. 1 Star-3 Star least to most challenging.
- Where applicable, we will provide links to external websites or suggest apps that could help.
- If you need some guidance via Class Dojo, message us and we will do our best to help. Please remember during school hours the Year 1 Team will be teaching the children who have chosen to return to school and may not reply immediately but, rest assured we will respond as quickly as possible.
- We understand that everyone’s home routine and circumstances are different and so to help anyone who is feeling overwhelmed at the thought of Learning from Home we have devised a suggested timetable. This aims to help you and your child work through the activities we have provided during this difficult time. This timetable has now been updated to fit the new level of home learning provided.
- Suggested timetable
Reading is the most important skill that the children will need to maintain and develop during this period. Please ensure you read with your child every day, if you are struggling for books you could try using the Pickatale or Get Epic websites (You can find links to these underneath the useful websites heading further down this page).
In Year 1 we are working towards becoming fluent readers and learning any unfamiliar sounds. Make sure you click the Daily Phonics Lessons link to watch and learn the phonics sounds every day of the week. You will need to select the videos containing Set 2 and 3 sounds. Additional videos and resources have being added for the next half-term so please read our updated instructions.
There will be five activities for your child to complete each week these will follow the videos on the White Rose Maths Website. See attached below some everyday maths starters for you to use as and when you decide. There is also some maths resources attached.
When accessing the White Rose Website please make sure you click on the correct lesson. We are now all caught up so this week we will begin Summer Term – Week 12 (w/c 13th July).
Friday – w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – Maths Challenge – All resources available on the website. Challenges 1 and 2 are suited to Year 1 children.
Extra Maths Resources
There will be five activities for your child to complete each week. These activities will be a combination of writing and reading tasks. Each writing activity will have instructions at the top of the sheet and there are some useful resources attached to explain key vocabulary used in our success criteria/instructions as well as a digital version of the Year 1 writing target bookmark used in class. Each reading activity will be labelled with one or more of the guided reading dog characters. For information regarding these characters please see the PowerPoint below. (Don’t forget when reading with your child you can ask questions involving these characters using the bookmark you received earlier this year. If your bookmark is missing there is a copy attached.) We have also attached the Phonic Mats used in school including all the sounds and rhymes. In Year 1 we learn up to and including series 6.
Monday – w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – English – Activity 1 – What’s happening? – Worksheet
Tuesday – w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – English – Activity 2 – Pirates Reading Comprehension – Worksheet
Thursday – w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – English – Activity 4 – Pirate Reading Comprehension – Worksheet
Extra English Resources
There will be at least one topic related activity each week for your child to complete. Attached below is also the creative home learning leaflet should you wish to do any additional topic activities. For those children who have returned to school please feel free to have a go at some of these creative home learning activities and send photos in via Class Dojo to share with the class. (You could possibly do this on a Friday afternoon!)
w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – Topic – Review – Worksheet
Extra Topic Resources
There will be one science activity per week for your child to complete. In the extra resources we have included the working scientifically in Key Stage 1 poster and some pirate themed science experiments should you wish to explore any further.
Extra Science Resources
Weekly Morning Mats
There will be three activity mats added each week with different levels of challenge and answer sheets. One will focus on a range of mathematical skills, one will focus on phonics revision and the other will focus on spelling, punctuation and grammar.
w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – Morning Mat – Maths Mat
w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – Morning Mat – Phonics Mat
w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – Morning Mat – SPaG Mat
The Year 1 Common Exception Words are the words that Year 1 children are expected to be able to read and spell accurately by the end of the year. We have attached a copy of these words below as well as a pack of spelling activity cards to make learning these fun. We have also attached a worksheet to help your child practise their weekly spellings. For those children in school we will be doing a spelling quiz on a Monday to check these words.
w/c Monday 13th July 2020 – We have attached the Year 2 Common Exception Words for anyone who would like to challenge themselves. There are no Year 1 spellings this week. – Year 2 CEW Words
We understand that at this time it could be difficult for your children to exercise with normal sporting events cancelled. We have found some fun indoor exercise options for you please see the links below.
- GoNoodle – A fun and funky way to keep fit.
- Joe Wicks – The Body Coach will be holding live PE lessons every weekday on his YouTube channel at 9am. Please see the link to his page below.
Please access the resources below as often as you would like. All sheets in the pack can be used more than once, perhaps pick a pattern to concentrate on each week and work your way through them in a cycle.
Letter-join is a website that we often use in school to assist with teaching cursive handwriting. There are lots of useful activities on offer to support the children in their handwriting practice. The website can be accessed via a desktop computer, laptop or tablet. Please see the instructions below to help you logon.
Previous Home Learning
Any home learning activities from previous weeks can be found using the links below.
- Phonics Play – Use the following login details. Then select any activities of your choosing from Phases 3-5. The Year 1 Phonics Screening Check will require the children to be confident with all of these phases.
- Get Epic – This website has whole range of age appropriate texts for you to choose to read or audio books to listen to. To login use the class code below and select your child’s name.
Class Code: vmx4058
- Pickatale – Create an account and read, listen to or interact with a whole selection of books. This can be accessed through the website or downloaded on the app store.
- Teach Your Monster To Read – Make your own free account and start your journey. Design your monster, play the games and teach your monster to read. This can be played through the website or downloaded on the app store.
- ICT Games – Play a variety of Maths and English games for free. No login details required.
- Coram Life Education SCARF – Harold, the happy, healthy giraffe mascot, will be posting a daily blog: Harold’s Daily Diary! Each day he’ll be giving children positive, fun messages about what he’s doing to stay happy and healthy while he’s off school, separated from his friends. He’ll invite the children to join in with activities he’s doing. He’ll be giving children ideas for how they can get a routine going for their day, including the things we all need to do to live a balanced, healthy life. These include: taking regular exercise, being creative, helping others, connecting with others – in ways that are safe and mindfulness – learning to enjoy the moment, here and now.
- Hit the Button – Quickfire maths game. Concentrate on: Number Bonds to 10, 20 and 100 (in tens), doubles up to 20 and halves up to 20.
- NumBots – A maths game accessible using Times Table Rock Star login details. This is a new game that we thought would be good to trial in Year 1 during this period, so, if you do have a go please let us know what you think! The game focuses on addition, subtraction and number bonds and encourages speed just like TTRS. It is robot themed and children unlock levels, choose and upgrade avatars, earn coins and stars. There are two modes: 1. Story Mode – the emphasis is on learning the ideas and concepts behind addition and subtraction so it features more diagrams, shapes and question styles. 2. Challenge Mode – the emphasis is more on speed of recall of key facts, like number bonds to 10, doubling small numbers or adding & taking away in your head.
We’d love to see the children’s work through photographs on Class Dojo!
The Year 1 Teachers and Teaching Assistants