Welcome to the Year 1 Home Learning resource. This is where we will update you with home learning, for the period where the school is closed.
- We will update the tasks each Monday by 9:30am.
- There will always be Reading/Phonics, Maths and Writing tasks, as well as some tasks from our wider curriculum.
- All work from previous weeks will be available under the Previous Home Learning heading.
- Any tasks which have different levels of challenge will be starred accordingly. E.g. 1 Star-3 Star least to most challenging.
- Where applicable, we will provide links to external websites or suggest apps that could help.
- If you need some guidance via Class Dojo, please do message us and we will do our best to help.
- We understand that everyone’s home routine and circumstances are different and so to help anyone who is feeling overwhelmed at the thought of Learning from Home we have devised a suggested timetable. This aims to help you and your child work through the activities we have provided during this difficult time.
- Suggested Timetable
Reading is the most important skill that the children will need to maintain and develop during this period. Please ensure you read with your child every day, if you are struggling for books this can be done using our reading/phonics activities (please find the resources for this week further down our page).
In Year 1 we are working towards becoming fluent readers and learning any unfamiliar sounds. Make sure you click the Daily Phonics Lessons link to watch and learn the phonics sounds every day of the week. You will need to select the videos containing Set 2 and 3 sounds.
There will be five activities for your child to complete each week. Each activity will have instructions at the top of the sheet. See attached below some everyday maths starters for you to use as and when you decide. There is also some maths resources attached.
When accessing the White Rose Website please make sure you click on the correct lesson. This week we are currently on the White Rose Summer Term Week 5 w/c 18th May Lessons – NOT WEEK 6.
Monday:- w/c Monday 1st June 2020 – Maths Activity 1 – Measuring length (2)
Tuesday:- w/c Monday 1st June 2020 – Maths Activity 2 – Introduce capacity and volume
Wednesday:- w/c Monday 1st June 2020 – Maths Activity 3 – Measure capacity
Thursday:- w/c Monday 1st June 2020 – Maths Activity 4 – Symmetry
Friday:- w/c Monday 1st June 2020 – Maths Activity 5 – Beetle Drive
Extra Maths Resources
There will be five activities for your child to complete each week. Each activity will have instructions at the top of the sheet. There are some useful resources attached to explain key vocabulary used in our success criteria/instructions and a digital version of the Year 1 writing target bookmark used in class.
Extra Writing Resources
There will be five activities for your child to complete each week. This will be a combination of reading/phonic activities. Each reading activity will be labelled with one or more of the guided reading dog characters. For information regarding these characters please see the PowerPoint below. (Don’t forget when reading with your child you can ask questions involving these characters using the bookmark you received earlier this year. If your bookmark is missing there is a copy attached.) We have also attached the Phonic Mats used in school including all the sounds and rhymes. In Year 1 we learn up to and including series 6.
Extra Reading/Phonics Resources
There will be at least one topic related activity each week for your child to complete. Attached below is also the creative home learning leaflet should you wish to do any additional topic activities.
Extra Topic Resources
Weekly Morning Mats
There will be two activity mats added each week with different levels of challenge and answer sheets. One will focus on a range of mathematical skills and the other will focus on spelling, punctuation and grammar.
The Year 1 Common Exception Words are the words that Year 1 children are expected to be able to read and spell accurately by the end of the year. We have attached a copy of these words below as well as a pack of spelling activity cards to make learning these fun.
There will be one science activity per week for your child to complete. In the extra resources we have included the working scientifically in Key Stage 1 poster should you wish to explore any further.
Extra Science Resources
We understand that at this time it could be difficult for your children to exercise with normal sporting events cancelled. We have found some fun indoor exercise options for you please see the links below.
- GoNoodle – A fun and funky way to keep fit.
- Joe Wicks – The Body Coach will be holding live PE lessons every weekday on his YouTube channel at 9am. Please see the link to his page below.
Please access the resources below as often as you would like. All sheets in the pack can be used more than once, perhaps pick a pattern to concentrate on each week and work your way through them in a cycle.
Letter-join is a website that we often use in school to assist with teaching cursive handwriting. There are lots of useful activities on offer to support the children in their handwriting practice. The website can be accessed via a desktop computer, laptop or tablet. Please see the instructions below to help you logon.
Previous Home Learning
Any home learning activities from previous weeks can be found using the links below.
- Phonics Play – Use the following login details. Then select any activities of your choosing from Phases 3-5. The Year 1 Phonics Screening Check will require the children to be confident with all of these phases.
- Get Epic – This website has whole range of age appropriate texts for you to choose to read or audio books to listen to. To login use the class code below and select your child’s name.
Class Code: vmx4058
- Teach Your Monster To Read – Make your own free account and start your journey. Design your monster, play the games and teach your monster to read. This can be played through the website or downloaded on the app store.
- ICT Games – Play a variety of Maths and English games for free. No login details required.
- Coram Life Education SCARF – Harold, the happy, healthy giraffe mascot, will be posting a daily blog: Harold’s Daily Diary! Each day he’ll be giving children positive, fun messages about what he’s doing to stay happy and healthy while he’s off school, separated from his friends. He’ll invite the children to join in with activities he’s doing. He’ll be giving children ideas for how they can get a routine going for their day, including the things we all need to do to live a balanced, healthy life. These include: taking regular exercise, being creative, helping others, connecting with others – in ways that are safe and mindfulness – learning to enjoy the moment, here and now.
- Hit the Button – Quickfire maths game. Concentrate on: Number Bonds to 10, 20 and 100 (in tens), doubles up to 20 and halves up to 20.
- NumBots – A maths game accessible using Times Table Rock Star login details. This is a new game that we thought would be good to trial in Year 1 during this period, so, if you do have a go please let us know what you think! The game focuses on addition, subtraction and number bonds and encourages speed just like TTRS. It is robot themed and children unlock levels, choose and upgrade avatars, earn coins and stars. There are two modes: 1. Story Mode – the emphasis is on learning the ideas and concepts behind addition and subtraction so it features more diagrams, shapes and question styles. 2. Challenge Mode – the emphasis is more on speed of recall of key facts, like number bonds to 10, doubling small numbers or adding & taking away in your head.
We’d love to see the children’s work through photographs on Class Dojo and will do our best to facilitate learning for the time that school is suspended.
The Year 1 Teachers and Teaching Assistants